Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Hank's Seafood Restaurant
- Images9 ImagesLast
Located at the corner of Church and Hayne streets
Reservations: (843) 723-3474
A charismatic Irishman with a twinkle in his eye is not the likeliest candidate to spearhead an homage to the classic Charleston fish house; however, anyone familiar with Hank’s Seafood will affirm Chef Frank McMahon is the heart and soul of the restaurant’s record success. Prior to its opening in 1999, Chef McMahon spent close to one year testing and perfecting beloved Lowcountry recipes like Seafood à la Wando. His attention to detail was applauded by Esquire magazine, which named Hank’s Seafood one of America’s Best New Restaurants.
A native of Limerick, Ireland, Chef McMahon split his childhood between rugby practice and his family’s restaurant, where his European-trained chef father instilled an early appreciation for discipline in the kitchen and flavor purity. The combination of perseverance and passion earned McMahon the Most Likely to Succeed nod from his peers at the world-renowned Culinary Institute of America.
After graduating from C.I.A. with honors, Chef McMahon earned a spot in the kitchen under Chefs Eric Ripert and Gilbert LeCoze at Le Bernardin, one of the world’s premier seafood restaurants. It was “the pinnacle” formative experience according to Chef McMahon. “The simplicity, the cleanliness, the flavors of Le Bernardin—it’s what I still strive for today,” says McMahon.
Indeed a deep appreciation for fresh, local ingredients, like stone crabs and creek shrimp, is what makes Hank’s Seafood the ultimate place to taste authentic Lowcountry flavors. Meanwhile the décor—hand-blown leaded glass windows, pine plank floors, the zinc and copper raw bar, mahogany paneling—coupled with the wait staff in white jackets, make Hank’s Seafood a local institution.
Menu highlights include:
- Seafood Tower and Seafood Castle
- Rich selections of iced shellﬁsh from the oceans of the world
- Tuna Tartare with jalapeno, shallot, and extra virgin olive oil
- Charleston She Crab Soup
- Hank’s Oyster Stew with leeks, potatoes, and bacon
- Oysters Casino with garlic butter, smoked bacon, asiago cheese, and bread crumbs
- Shrimp and Grits with smoked Andouille sausage, tomato, garlic, and parsley butter over stone ground grits
- Seafood A La Wando with sauteed shrimp, scallops, and fish in a sherry, crabmeat, button mushrooms, scallions, and shellﬁsh saffron cream sauce. Served with a fried grit cake.
Cool Inside: Hank’s Seafood Restaurant
The much anticipated Cool Inside: Hank’s Seafood Restaurant cookbook was released in 2012. A vibrant look at the convivial culture of Hank’s Seafood, the gloriously photographed cookbook includes more than 100 recipes and scores of first-person stories.